Tanning lotions are an essential part of any sun-loving person’s summer tanning routine. The right tanning lotion helps to create a barrier between your skin and the sun’s damaging ultraviolet (UV) radiation while also providing additional benefits such as hydration, antioxidants, and other vitamins that can help keep your skin healthy and soft.
In this article, we will explore the best outdoor tanning lotions on the market and provide tips for getting the perfect golden tan without damaging your skin in the process.
10 Best outdoor Tanning Lotions
benefits of using outdoor tanning lotions
When it comes to getting a perfect tan, using outdoor tanning lotions can be a great way to help you achieve this goal. Tanning lotions can help speed up the tanning process, as well as provide you with a deeper, more even tan. In addition, tanning lotions can also help protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
So, what are the benefits of using outdoor tanning lotions? Let’s take a look:
Faster Tanning: One of the main benefits of using outdoor tanning lotions is that they can help speed up the tanning process. This is because the active ingredients in most tanning lotions can help stimulate your body’s production of melanin, which is the pigment that gives your skin its color.
Deeper, More Even Tan: Another benefit of using outdoor tanning lotions is that they can help you achieve a deeper, more even tan. This is because tanning lotions can help evenly distribute melanin throughout your skin. As a result, you’ll end up with a more consistent and even-looking tan.
Protection from UV Rays: One of the most important benefits of using outdoor tanning lotions is that they can help protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. The active ingredients in most tanning lotions can help block out some of the UV rays that cause sun damage, such as wrinkles, sun spots, and skin cancer.
How do outdoor tanning lotions work?
Outdoor tanning lotions are formulated to create a barrier between your skin and the sun’s damaging ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The active ingredients absorb UV rays, protecting your skin from burning or reddening too quickly.
Additionally, many of these products contain hydrating oils, antioxidants, and other vitamins that can help keep your skin healthy and soft under the sun’s rays.
When selecting an outdoor tanning lotion it is important to pick one that is appropriate for your skin type as well as additional products if you are looking for a deeper tan.
It is also important to reapply your outdoor tanning lotion regularly – every two hours or so – to maintain protection against UV radiation exposure. Make sure you are using a good quality product with broad-spectrum SPF protection (at least 15 but preferably 30) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
Remember that even if you don’t feel any sunburn or discomfort in the moment, UV damage builds up over time, so take proper precautions while outdoors!
Reviews of Best Outdoor Tanning Lotion
- i’m perfect for when you want your tan dark but don’t want to lay out
- tan accelerating actives speed up the tanning process, which means less time in the sun for deeper, darker tanning results
- i’m packed full of ultra moisturizing oils to keep your skin hydrated too
- i’m 100% vegan, free of nasties like parabens and i love animals so am 100% cruelty free
- GIVE YOUR SKIN A NATURAL, BEAUTIFUL GOLDEN GLOW without applying any bronzers or skin darkening products. Australian Gold’s Rapid Tanning Intensifying lotion speeds up the tanning process while you bask in the sun or use a tanning bed
- BE SUMMER READY – Formulated with Biosine Complex, a proprietary blend of premium ingredients, it prepares your skin for dark color development. It does not contain sunscreen but increases the pigmentation so your skin gets a quicker tan
- BLESSED WITH AUSTRALIAN NATURALS – Enriched with Tea Tree Oil and the goodness of Vitamin E, both of which are powerful antioxidants, this tanning intensifier fights off free radicals, gently nourishes and cleanses your skin leaving it smooth and fresh
- ULTIMATE HYDRATION – The exotic combination of native oils, vital nutrients and Aloe Vera provide naturally soothing and deeply nourished skin that remains hydrated for long. Available in a delectable Coconut, Orange, and Vanilla fragrance
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED – Australian Gold’s time-tested formula is designed to be Vegan, Gluten Free, and Cruelty Free, while being loaded with the goodness of Kakadu Plums and Safflower Seed Oil for an instant radiant tan
- NATURAL BROWNING LOTION. This premium natural browning lotion is our secret weapon that gets us a fast, deep tan without having to spend long hours in the sun! We developed this lotion to accelerate the sun triggered tanning process in our skin.
- MOISTURIZING DARKENING LOTION. Our water resistant and Hawaii 104 Reef Act Compliant tanning lotion is great for all skin types. Delight your skin with Aloe Vera, Kona Coffee Plant Extract, Marula, Argan, Coconut and Avocado Oil with a tropical coffee scent.
- HOW TO USE. First apply sunscreen, wait ten minutes, and then lather your bod in our browning lotion. Lounge in the sun and reapply as needed. Sonny’s Tip: Our brown tint can stain, so allow the lotion to soak in before laying on a white towel!
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN. The key to practicing safe sun is to protect and moisturize your skin. Our Original Sunscreen line is Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Gluten, Cruelty and Paraben Free to ensure a fun day in the sun.
- TRUST THE BUM. What does that mean? It means trust us, the ones who live on the beach and need products that work on the most intense days in the sun. The simple truth is, when you make products to protect the ones you love, you make ‘em better.
- ACHIEVE A DEEPER, DARKER TAN – This dark tanning accelerator lotion with instant bronzer intensifies your bronze glow & helps you achieve a darker tan. Blends effortlessly and absorbs quickly, allowing for an even sunless tanning or outdoor sun tanning
- BLESSED WITH AUSTRALIAN NATURALS – A rich blend of Kakadu Plum extract with highest content of Vitamin C, and Tea Tree Oil, a powerful antioxidant, fights off free radicals and gently cleanses your skin leaving it healthy and smooth
- BIOSINE COMPLEX FOR A LONG-LASTING TAN – This tanning intensifier contains an advanced combination of ingredients that prepare your skin for a dark color development while soothing, smoothening & nourishing your skin. It does not contain sunscreen
- HYDRATION & SUPERIOR SKIN BENEFITS – Enriched with Vitamin A & E and Natural Oils, this accelerator & bronzer not only helps build a flawless tan but also supplies essential nutrients to the skin, while moisturizing & hydrating it for a soft & supple feel
- REFRESHING FRAGRANCE – This tanning accelerator lotion takes you on an instant vacation to the beach with its signature Cocoa Dreams fragrance in a delectable and long-lasting scent of Coconut, Orange and Vanilla that keeps you fresh all day long
- All natural
- Moisturizing benefits
- 4 oz
- Not a self tanner
- Deep & Flawless Tan
- Immediate Sun Kissed Glow
- Ultra Moisturizing
- Advanced intensive tanning system (Infinite Tan System: Carrot + Coconut Oils), that enhances tan acceleration, providing a deep, rich and radiant sun-kissed color.
- Lightweight Sunscreen: This Coppertone sunscreen tanning lotion is a lightweight formula that won’t make your skin feel greasy
- Vitamin E Enriched: Coppertone Tanning Broad Spectrum sunscreen lotion is enriched with Vitamin E to keep skin feeling moisturized
- Water Resistant: This Coppertone water resistant sunscreen (80 minutes) formula is perfect for a day at the beach or sitting by the pool
- Free Of: Coppertone Tanning Sunscreen Lotion SPF 15 is free from Dyes, PABA, and Oxybenzone
- Includes one 8 fluid ounce bottle of Coppertone SPF 15 Tanning Sunscreen Lotion
- SPF 4 SUNSCREEN SPRAY GEL with Sunflower Seed Oil, Olive Fruit Oil & Cocoa Seed Butter is designed to provide ultimate hydration that deeply moisturizes the skin, and the Caramel Bronzer imparts a faux sun-kissed golden glow for an instant tinted look
- AUSTRALIAN NATURALS – A rich blend of Kakadu Plum extract with highest content of Vitamin C, and Tea Tree Oil, a powerful antioxidant, fights off free radicals and leaves skin fresh; Comes in a delectable scent of Coconut, Orange, and Vanilla
- BROAD SPECTRUM SUNBLOCK shields the skin from both UVA and UVB rays and reduces the adverse effects of sunlight; Generously apply this lightweight, non-greasy sheer sun protector and tanning spray gel 15 minutes before stepping out and you are good to go
- EASY TO USE SPRAY PUMP – This innovative, hybrid take on continuous spray, traditional lotion and temporary bronzer comes in a convenient spray bottle that gives maximum control and gets easily absorbed by the skin
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED SUNSCREEN – Australian Gold’s time-tested formula is designed to be Oxybenzone Free, PABA Free, Phthalate Free & Gluten Free; It is sweat and water resistant (up to 80 minutes) and is purely vegan, cruelty free and never tested on animals
- Ultra-Darkening Skin Hydrating Intensifier: Contains coconut milk, coconut oil, and cocoa butter to improve skin hydration. Delivers a dark golden tan without the use of bronzing agents.
- Tattoo Fade Protecting Formula: Helps prolong the life and radiance of your tattoos and tanning results.
- Quad Tyrosine Blend & Melano Bronze: Stimulates and increases melanin formation to accelerate the tanning process.
- Coconut Paradise Fragrance: An intoxicating light coconut fragrance with a faint scent of vanilla will make you dream of a day in paradise.
- Ed Hardy tanning products are part of the Tanovations company. The Ed Hardy logo was replaced by the Tanovations logo, which has a palm tree.
- Indoor/Outdoor Bronzing Blend with low levels of DHA combined with high levels of Natural bronzers allow the skin to develop natural, long lasting bronzed results.
- Guava Extracts are rich in antioxidants that help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while providing a glowing complexion.
- Watermelon Extracts provide 24-hour hydration while improving the skins tone and deeply improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dry spots of the skin.
- MelanoBronze stimulates melanin activity to allow for longer lasting, darker tanning results.
- Tattoo & Color Fade Protection protects the color and luster of your tan and tattoos.
How to choose the best outdoor tanning lotion for your needs?
When it comes to getting a perfect bronze glow, there are a few things you need to take into consideration – your skin type, the kind of tan you’re going for and of course, what kind of outdoor tanning lotion will work best for you. If you want to make sure you get the most out of your sun session and avoid any unwanted surprises, then read on for everything you need to know about choosing the right outdoor tanning lotion.
Your Skin Type
The first thing you need to think about when choosing an outdoor tanning lotion is your skin type. If you have sensitive skin, then you’ll want to avoid any lotions with harsh chemicals or fragrances that could irritate your skin. Instead, look for lotions that are specifically designed for sensitive skin or that are hypoallergenic.
Read Also : 10 Best Bee Venom Creams Review And Buying Guide
If you have dry skin, then you’ll want to look for a lotion that is hydrating and will help to lock in moisture. Alternatively, if you have oily skin then you’ll want to look for a light-weight formula that won’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
The Kind of Tan You Want
The next thing to consider is the kind of tan you want. If you’re looking for a natural-looking tan, then you’ll want to choose a lotion with a lower SPF. However, if you’re looking for a more intense bronzed look then you can go for a higher SPF. Just bear in mind that if you’re using a higher SPF then you may need to reapply more frequently.
Another thing to think about is whether you want a gradual or an instant tan. Gradual tans are ideal if you’re new to fake tanning or if you have fair skin as they build up slowly over time so there’s less chance of making any mistakes. Instant tans are great if you want results fast or if you have more experience with fake tanning as they give an immediate colour.
There are two main types – water-based and oil-based. Water-based formulas are lighter and easier to apply but can be less hydrating than oil-based formulas. Oil-based formulas tend to be more hydrating but can feel heavier on the skin and be harder to apply evenly.
Ultimately, it’s down to personal preference which type of formula you prefer but it’s worth trying out both to see which one works better for your skin type and the kind of tan you want.
Tips for getting the most out of your outdoor tanning experience
When it comes to outdoor tanning, there are a few things you can do to make sure you get the most out of your experience. First and foremost, it’s important to find a location that gets plenty of sun throughout the day. This will ensure that you’re getting the most direct exposure to UV rays, which are necessary for achieving a tan.
Another thing to keep in mind is the time of day that you’re tanning. The sun’s rays are strongest during the middle of the day, so this is generally the best time to be out in the sun if you’re looking to get a tan. However, if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to avoid being in direct sunlight during peak hours. Instead, try to tan during the early morning or late afternoon/evening when the sun isn’t as strong.
Of course, it’s also important to use sunscreen when you’re outdoors. This will help protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent sunburn. Be sure to reapply sunscreen every few hours, especially if you’re sweating or swimming. And, last but not least, make sure to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors and get a beautiful tan. With the right outdoor tanning lotion, you can safely get that perfect golden glow while also helping to nourish, hydrate, and protect your skin against UV radiation.
To make sure you have the best summer ever, take a look at our guide to find the best outdoor tanning lotions available on the market today. With these products, you’ll be able to achieve a stunning sun-kissed tan without worrying about any damaging effects.