Every coffee connoisseur knows that the perfect cup of espresso requires the perfect brew. However, regular use of any espresso machine can lead to mineral buildup caused by hard water – also known as “scaling”. In order to keep your Breville espresso machine running smoothly, it’s important to know how to descale it regularly. Read on for easy steps to maintain the optimal performance of your precious machine!
- Unplug and Disassemble Your Breville Espresso Machine. In order to properly descale your machine, you must unplug it and disassemble all key components such as the portafilter, showerhead and steam wand. Use a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe away any loose scale from the surfaces of these parts before setting them aside.
- Make Your Descale Solution. You can make an effective descale solution using either vinegar or a specially formulated Descaling Solution that is made specifically for espresso machines. Whichever solution you decide on, make sure you measure out 12 ounces of your solution into a large container that’s large enough to fit all the components of your Breville espresso machine when submerged in the solution, like a bowl or pitcher. Then fill up the container with hot water until all parts are fully submerged in the solution.
- Soak All Components and Rinse Thoroughly. Once everything has been assembled in the cleaning solution, leave it undisturbed for at least 30 minutes so that limescale deposits can dissolve easily during this soak period. After soaking, you should rinse off all components thoroughly with fresh water and wipe dry with a clean cloth before reassembling them back onto your Breville espresso machine. Do not forget to rinse out any residual cleaning agent from inside both the portafilter and brewing head as well – otherwise this might affect taste negatively!
- Clean Out Group Head & Drip Tray. The next step is to clean out any residue left behind in both group head (located at the base of the portafilter) and drip tray from previous beverages brewed so as to ensure optimal performance during each brew session. To do this effectively let some hot water run through group head while pressing down firmly on portafilter handle multiple times then check if there is still remaining residue inside; similarly for drip tray just remove and empty out contents before wiping down surface area with damp cloth if necessary before replacing back into position correctly.
- Finally , remember that by descaling regularly you will extend life span of your beloved Breville Espresso Machine. So make sure make time once every three months if possible – happy caffeine-ing !
How to Clean Breville Espresso Machine
Cleaning your Breville espresso machine is important to ensuring that your coffee tastes great and to prolonging the life of the machine. Luckily, it’s easy to clean with just a few simple steps. To start, you’ll need to descale your machine.
Descaling removes built-up calcium deposits that can affect the taste of your coffee and damage the machine. You can descale with a commercial descaling solution or with a mixture of water and vinegar. Just follow the instructions on the bottle of whichever solution you use.
Once you’ve descaled, it’s time to clean the filters. The portafilter is where most of the cleaning will take place. Start by taking it apart and rinsing all of the parts in hot water.
Then, using a soft brush (a toothbrush works well), scrub away any coffee grounds or residue from all surfaces. Be sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards. You may also want to soak the portafilter in hot water for a few minutes before reassembling it.
The shower screen is another area that needs regular cleaning. Again, simply remove it and rinse it in hot water, then brush away any coffee grounds or residue. Be sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards so that no cleaner remains on the screen when you reassemble it.
Finally, wipe down all exterior surfaces of the machine with a damp cloth. This includes buttons, knobs, and other areas where fingerprints tend to accumulate! By following these simple steps regularly, you’ll keep your Breville espresso machine looking and working like new for years to come!
Read also: Top 10 Best Coffee Makers Review With Buying Guide
How Do I Turn Breville into Descale Mode?
To initiate a descale cycle on your Breville coffee maker, simply press the “Descale” button (if your model has one). This will start a pre-set cleaning cycle that should take around 30 minutes to complete. Once the cycle is finished, run a few cycles of fresh water through the machine to remove any residual cleaner.
If your model doesn’t have an automatic descaling cycle, don’t worry – it’s still easy to clean manually. Simply fill the water reservoir with a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water. Run this mixture through the coffee maker as you would normally brew a pot of coffee.
After about 30 minutes, flush out the vinegar solution by running several cycles of fresh water through the machine. Either way you choose to descale your Breville coffee maker, be sure to do so every 3-6 months (or more often if you live in an area with hard water). Doing so will help extend the life of your machine and keep those delicious cups of coffee coming!
Can I Use Vinegar to Descale My Breville Espresso Machine?
Absolutely! Vinegar is an effective and inexpensive solution for descaling your Breville espresso machine.
Simply measure out 4 ounces of white vinegar into a bowl that’s large enough to fit all the components when submerged in the solution and fill up with hot water until all parts are fully submerged.
Then leave it undisturbed for at least 30 minutes. So that limescale deposits can dissolve easily during this soak period. After soaking, you should rinse off all components thoroughly with fresh water and wipe dry with a clean cloth. Do not forget to rinse out any residual cleaning agent from inside both the portafilter and brewing head as well – otherwise this might affect taste negatively!
The Barista Express® | Our tutorial on how to descale your espresso machine | Breville USA
Descalers are an effective way to ensure that your Breville espresso machine lasts for many years. Regular descaling with white vinegar will help keep your machine clean and performing optimally.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily descale your Breville espresso machine with vinegar and enjoy great-tasting coffee for years to come.